We are excited to announce that we have five 12 month internship opportunities available in the areas of: Human Resources, Administration, Marketing & Communications and Monitoring and Evaluation/Research.
Funded by one of the big four banks, this opportunity is open to candidates that:
- Have a minimum qualification of matric.
- Must be a South African citizen.
- Are between 18 and 34 years of age.
- Preference will be given to individuals from a previously disadvantaged background.
- Have never held a full-time position before (this is a FirstJob opportunity) and preferably have not participated on a learnership or internship before.
- Live within 40 kms from our offices, which are either at the Windybrow Arts Centre (Johannesburg) or Vrygrond Community Centre (Cape Town)
- Are not currently in fulltime studies and able to attend this internship full time.
- Are willing to be subjected to a credit and criminal check or any industry specific checks required for your job role.
- Computer literate; are able to use/operate Microsoft Office Suite (familiarity with Google Suite would be an advantage)
- Excellent verbal and written command of English, with knowledge of other SA languages an advantage
- Some knowledge about the theatre industry in South Africa (and theatre for young audiences in general) would be an advantage.
- A drivers licence would be an advantage.
Start date of the internship is 1 July 2023 and end date is 30 June 2024.
Specific requirements are:
1. MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS INTERN
To profile ASSITEJ SA and to communicate projects, programmes and policies about ASSITEJ SA on all online platforms and to market the Association to the general public and to key target markets;
To support aspects of the marketing and communications plan for ASSITEJ SA events and to communicate about all aspects of the event to relevant parties;
To market ASSITEJ SA as a national brand;
1. To implement and report on a strategically planned marketing and communications programme and plan for ASSITEJ SA, in collaboration with the Comms & Marketing Manager, Social media Officer or the National Director.
2. To project a profile of ASSITEJ SA into the public and corporate space, through key messaging and compelling content stories.
3. To profile certain key projects of ASSITEJ SA through press releases, newsletters, video and photographic content and social media.
4. To market the Cradle of Creativity to schools, general audiences and to delegates, and to communicate about all aspects of the event to all relevant parties.
5. To market all other events and projects of ASSITEJ SA as appropriate.
6. To assist with creating content for key communication and marketing channels e.g. website, monthly newsletters, social media, project videos, etc.
7. To design and edit visual and video/audio content for use on social media.
8. To feed information on all activities nationally to the ASSITEJ SA head office to ensure visibility of the project/s and of activities in which members are engaged (liaising with members and with provincial Theatre4Youth reps to gather content).
9. To monitor Google Analytics and provide an overview of our website and social media statistics.
10. To archive all mentions of ASSITEJ and ASSITEJ SA online, and to ensure a systematic approach to documentation in terms of collection and labelling of photographs, articles and other materials.
2. MONITORING AND EVALUATION / RESEARCH INTERN
Key performance areas:
- Engaging with Director, Operations Manager and Project managers to devise strategic plan for research
- Completing the research protocol
- Scoping and data collection using both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Mapping exercises
- Needs analysis
- Collecting and analysing data
- Assisting with administrative matters
- Conducting site visits to ensure proper data collection processes
- M&E systems development and management
- M&E support to SEF participants by providing M&E capacity building / workshops
- Preparing graphs and tables with explanatory narratives
- Writing of reports for programme evaluation purposes
- Presenting findings to various stakeholders
- Making recommendations for future research
- An energetic and enthusiastic individual with the ability to work interdependently.
- Passionate about working in the NGO sector and making a difference in society.
- Organised, methodical & proactive with exceptional problem-solving and analysis skills.
- Unquestioned personal integrity.
- Above average presentation skills.
3. ADMINISTRATIVE ASSITANT INTERNS (x2)
- To assist the ASSITEJ SA Operations and Projects Department with handling office tasks, data capturing, assist with travel arrangements, minute taking, filing, information gathering on various projects and basic reporting duties.
- To use the Kwantu App and update details of participants in the Social Employment Fund accurately and efficiently.
- The successful candidate should be professional, polite and willing to handle challenges.
- The Administrative Assistant intern must be comfortable with computers, with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint etc), general office tasks and communicate well in both written and verbal communication.
- Answering incoming calls, making travel and meeting arrangements, preparing reports, maintaining filing systems, updating databases, managing supplies and acquiring quotes when necessary.
- Using computers to generate reports, transcribe minutes from meetings, transfer data from paper formats into computer files or database systems using in-house systems.
- Verify data by comparing it to source documents, update existing data, retrieve data from the database or electronic files as requested.
- Assist to schedule and coordinate meetings and appointments for managers
- Assist to maintain office and workshop supplies for organisation
- Compile new database of cost-effective service providers and also do background check on their legitimacy
- Research and advise the line manager about the most updated systems feasible for projects
- Work in hand with logistics manager to put up project specifications, schedules, and communicate with third parties and help with sourcing quotations from various suppliers and service providers.
- Keep a proper record of documents including quotations, receipts and invoices and assist with financial reconciliations.
- Support staff to manage and complete trainings/activities successfully in order to achieve project goals.
4. HUMAN RESOURCES INTERN
- To assist Operations Manager with updating HR documents and staff records, including SEF participants
- To check that all contracts and other documents (Form 29/30) are signed and filed.
- To record holiday leaves and create statistical reports.
- To assist with minutes and record taking of HR engagements.
- To identify training opportunities and needs and research possible ways of filling the gaps for staff.
- To onboard new participants on the Kwantu app/internal systems and in relation to policies/protocols of ASSITEJ SA.
- To update internal databases with new employee information such as contact details and employment status.
- To support the Operations Manager with all HR matters including recruitment, interviewing, onboarding, oversight and recording exit interviews.
- To ensure legal compliance and compliance with company policies.
- To collect payroll data such as working hours, vacations, bank accounts, etc.
- To organise and collate our HR policies and procedures and standard operating procedures.
- To organise and maintain personnel records while respecting POPIA.
- To ensure effective communication with staff and to ensure a schedule of regular meetings of staff with the ir managers is adhered to.
- To ensure that all staff are acquainted with the policies and protocols of ASSITEJ SA.
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Discrete and professional in all dealings
- Takes initiative and carries out assigned tasks to completion
- Manages time and resources well and demonstrates good organizational abilities
- Works under pressure when required and is available to work overtime when the role and responsibilities require it
- Committed, motivated and able to achieve tasks in required time frame
- Positive attitude
- Continuously improves skills through on the job or external training
- Able to prioritise important matters and act on them accordingly
Should you wish to apply, please email a CV, with a cover letter motivating as to why you would like to work for ASSITEJ South Africa, to Hailey Chisholm at firstname.lastname@example.org
In the subject line of the email please write “Intern Position – name of position you are applying for”. Applications without a covering letter will not be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Once shortlisted, we will require a completed application form, certified copy of ID no older than 3 months, certified copy of highest qualification for the final verification stage.